Wach this video about the life cycle of a plastic bottle from beginning to end. Then answer the questions in your notebook.
Who are the characters in this story?
b) three plastic bottles
2. Plastic is made of _____________.
b) oil and gas
3. How much plastic ends up in landfills?
a) all of it
b) hundreds of millions of tons
4. Rainwater flows through the waste and absorbs toxic compounds. The toxic water is called leachate, and it ____________________.
b) can move into groundwater, soil and streams, poisoning ecosystems and harming wildlife.
5. How long can it take for a bottle to decompose?
a) 100 years
b) 1000 years
6. How many plastic-filled trash vortexes, or gyres, are there in the world’s seas?
7. Why do the animals eat the plastic?
a) They think it’s food.
b) Because they are starving.
8. Do most plastics biodegrade?
a) Yes, they do.
b) No, they don’t.
9. Bottle number three is _____________.
a) in the Pacific Garbage Patch
Video “The Life Cycle of a Plastic Bottle” TED ED
This is a crossword about plastics and textiles. Try to solve it before checking the key.
Link to an interactive crossword
This activity consists of making a presentation about plastics. We are going to use LibreOffice Impress, a free and open-source software.
Your presentation should contain the following information:
- An initial slide showing the title “Plastics” and a subtitle explaining the definition of a plastic.
- A slide dedicated to the properties of plastics.
- Three slides focused on each type of plastic: thermoplastics, thermosetting plastics and elastomers. All of the slides should include text about the properties of this each kind of plastic, and images related to these materials.
- Slides referring to industrial plastics. Each of these slides should include:
- Properties of this type of plastic.
- Its uses.
- Images of objects made of this material.
- Finally, set the slide transitions taking into account that you should be able to easily read the information.
It is up to you to customize the animation of the slides by adding different effects.
Technological materials. Bilingual Technology.